January 12, 2013

Product Swap Time: Fourth and Ten


MrsStanfordsClass

So excited to be part of the Magical Product Swap hosted by Jessica from Mrs. Stanford's Class! This time, I got the privilege of reviewing an adorable sight word game from Lisa over at Fourth and Ten.


I love her blog and I LOVE the fact that she lives in Ohio (where I am from) I always feel more at "home" when I find Ohio connections. Lisa teaches 4th now but she has taught third in the past. Her blog is full of amazing ideas and some of my favorite activities have come from her store!!

I was able to review her Snow Day Sunshine Fry word pack! So.Stinkin'.Cute.


When most people think about sight words, they think about younger students. However, like all of you, I have lots of friends who are either below level or on-level but not fluent readers. This game is so cute and it allows older students to practice sight word phrases which is so important in becoming more fluent readers. It is not enough to just word call, they need to be able to chunk text! Lisa's game, includes 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade fry word phrases along with some exciting game cards to make it a lot of fun to play! 


I printed out the 3rd grade phrases (100 of them!) and the extra game cards. Then I cut them all out. So quick and easy - it could be printed one morning and be ready to be used with an intervention group later that same morning (not that I ever leave things to the last minute like that, HA)

*Side note- need a new blade in my paper cutter* 



I gathered my "students" to help me play. Students draw a card and read the phrase. If it is read correctly, they keep the card in their pile. 





Sometimes, a player draws a "sunshine" card. Oh, NO! Look at that sad face. She had to put her cards back.



Other times, a player draws a "snow day" card. Yeah... we are so happy we win extra cards!


I know my students are going to love this game and I am going to love hearing their fluency improve. I know activities like this help them become better readers which also helps them become more confident and better all around students. 

What are you waiting for? Head on over to Fourth and Ten and read all about my Multiplication Bump game Lisa is reviewing. After you check that post out, head on over to TpT and get this game for your class - they'll love it and Lisa put it on sale just for you!! Click here to see it in her store. 


If you are interested in reading my last product swap about measurement games, click here!



2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for working with me on the Product Swap! I am so glad that you liked Snowday, Sunshine and I hope your kiddos in class do too! :)

    Lisa
    Fourth and Ten
    Like Fourth and Ten on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great product! I'll have to check it out.

    What i have learned


    ReplyDelete